Find below the course Outline for this course:
- Why rear your own fish and why organically?
- What kind of fish can you rear organically and to what extent?
- Benefits of organically or naturally bred fish
- Different types of fish and the most commonly reared species for commercial purpose
- Requirements for rearing fish organically
- Types of fish ponds and choosing the best for your organic fish production on a small scale and on a large scale.
- Stocking your fish ( choosing the right age, size, specie and quality of fish)
- Water management practices throughout your fish rearing lifecycle
- Feeding your fish (choosing the right size , quality, quantity and frequency of feeding)
- How to make organic feed from processed fish feed
- How to formulate your own fish food to save cost on feeding your fish
- Sorting your fish and maintaining the correct stocking rate throughout your fish growth and development stages.
- Checking for diseased fishes and maintaining hygienic practices to prevent diseases infestation in fishery
- Fish disease management organically
- Harvesting your fish at table size at the right time depending on your target market and or purpose of rearing
- Managing Fish waste including fish water waste, dead fish and sick fish.
- Value addition, processing and packaging
- Eat and sell your organically grown fish
- Participants activities: show your home reared organic fish and share your experiences.